Monday, October 4, 2010

Lentil and Sausage Soup


Sausage and Lentil Soup

I found this on one of the sites I frequent and can't for the life of me think where it was from now. I just know that on the bottom of my print out it says BHG.com and I guess that's where it came from :) It ended up quite yummy. I didn't have any crackers but they would have tasted yummy.

Ingredients

2-14 oz cans low sodium chicken broth (I used a 32 oz box from Dollar Tree)
1 1/2 cup water (Just added a cup since I had extra chicken broth)
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I just used dried)
1 /8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Omitted this)
2 cloves garlic minced (or smushed in my case)
6 oz cooked smoked sausage quartered and sliced (I used the little cocktail wieners and sliced them up)

In a large sauce pan combine chicken broth, water, lentils, celery, carrot, onion, dried thyme, cayenne pepper and garlic. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in sausage and fresh thyme if using. Heat through. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment