Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup


Butternut Squash Soup
I must admit that I was a little worried when I tried this recipe. Only because I don't know how to cut butternut squash and haven't had butternut squash recently. It came from the Farmer's Market and Prairierthfarm, whom I have begun to love! They are doing a crop share/CSA next year and hopefully I got signed up for it! I send in my form Monday and I cross my fingers/pray that I get it. Again, the only problem I had with this was the I don't know how to cut butternut squash! I think I thoroughly killed it. Either way, it tasted great! I added crackers because I like really chunky soups and this one isn't.

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2/3 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
2/3 cup diced onion
4 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme (I used dried)
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent (usually 3-4 minutes). Add squash and thyme. Stir to combine with vegetables. Stir in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender (about 30 minutes). Let the soup cool for 15 minutes or so and then use a blender or really good food processor to puree soup. It should be a nice smooth consistency, but not runny (I used my hand blender and blended it in the pot).

No comments:

Post a Comment