Saturday, March 13, 2010

American Style Vanilla Biscotti (adapted my way)




I'm a sucker for easy and when I read that this only took 7 ingredients I figured it would be simple! But man, it took time! When I first made it I burned my forearms on the oven, the second time I burned my thumb, third time's a charm! No burns! :) But this is such an easy recipe. Just make sure you have at least an hour plus to make. I just took a picture of the recipe as is, but I have added many items to it as suggested in the end. Also I usually make 2 batches so that the oven can be used during the cooling stage.

Ingredients

6 Tablespoons butter, room temp
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I usually do the 2)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour

Extras to add in: Dried fruit, raisins, chocolate chips or nuts of some kind.

Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Tear off a good size piece of parchment paper to line a 15 x 11 jelly roll pan. Then in a medium size bowl beat the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and baking powder until smooth and creamy. This does take a few minutes, but it will come. Beat in eggs, it will look curdled and that is ok. Then add flour and mix until smooth. Dough is sticky. At this time if you want to add extras you can. Now plop the dough on your parchment paper and form a log. The log should be about an inch high and can be as long as need be. Place in oven and allow to cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes has passed, remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. After it has cooled cut into logs and then cut logs in half. Place back into the oven for another 15 minutes. When finished allow to cool and then enjoy with a nice hot cup of tea!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I love biscotti. My favorite is Toffee Bar Crunch Biscotti which I like to make at Christmas time. Makes the house smell phenomenal while baking! When it has cooled, I dip one end in chocolate. Wonderful with coffee. ~~Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do the same thing with the chocolate too! But I ran out of time for Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete